Saturday, June 4, 2005

The Day I saw him

Put my coat and hat on and went to the park today and sat on a bench with a newspaper and a bagged lunch, with a thermos of hot cocoa. It was  a bit chilly but there wasn't any wind so it was nice. The sun was shinning brightly and I love to watch the children with their parents playing on the grass with their pets and the men playing ball with their sons.  As I was reading my paper a young boy came and sat on the bench next to me, and I looked at him out of the corner of my eye and saw that this child was kind of dirty and wearing tattered clothing. He didnt have a jacket on even though it was kind of cool outside.  I didn't say anything because I didn't want to scare the child but I just turned and smiled at him. He smiled back at me and turned his head and watched the kids at play .  Every now and again he would look at the bag and thermos I had on the bench next to us and I noticed that he did this at least three times, but he never said a word. Just sat there quietly. I had a great idea. I reached over and opened the bag, and the boy immediately looked at me and the bag and then he looked into my eyes. I could see in his eyes a saddness and there wasnt that twinkle that a youngster should have nor a smile wrinkling them. I had two sandwiches in that bag and took them out and laid them down and I also had a cup in that bag for the hot chocolate. That poor child looked at those sandwiches and cup and licked his lips. Then I knew that he must be very hungry.  I took one of the sandwiches and offered it to him and poured him a cup of chocolate and asked him to join me because being older, this was way too much for me to eat and drink. At first, he was reluntat to take what I was offering him, so I just sat the sandwich in its wrapping on the bench and opened the other one and ate it and used the top of the thermos to pour myself some chocolate and drank and ignored him as if I was much to busy eating. He tentatively reached over and took the food and cup and very slowly ate that sandwich as if he was savoring every bite. He did the same with the drink.  I thought to myself, how sad that a child should have to savor such a small gesture of friendship and food. I decided there and then to ask this small one if he would like to meet me tomorrow right here and I  would share my lunch with him again as I always have way too much to eat and drink.  He just looked at me for awhile and then slowly a smile came on his face and he nodded his head and said that his name was Joey and that he be happy to meet me for lunch tomorrow. I met Joey for lunch each day throughout the summer months. But when September came, Joey didn't come to the park anymore. Maybe he had to go to school, although he looked kind of young for school. I really miss Joey. He and I had become good friends over sandwiches and hot cocoa. I hope Joey is ok and doing well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janise,
This is the best thing that you could have done for youself..these endless storys are all beyond real..and i love that Joey was here too.
jo..Hannahthemaid....

Anonymous said...

it has been a pleasure to sit and read such beautiful words thank you for sharing your days with all of us and you sound as such a sweet person
                    denisebizkit