Tuesday, July 12, 2005

OLd Friend

I have been sitting of this bench in the park today just thinking of the past. There are so many good memories that I have and so many friends that I miss. Time takes its toll on us all, and it is sad that we have to lose some of our best friends to illness and accidents.

I remember one friend that I loved so much. He was the kindest person I have ever known. He never said a bad word about anyone that I can recall and he never told anyone how sick he was either. Every day we worked together and at night we would go out for supper and then have a few drinks before we went home. I noticed that he was losing weight and not having anything to drink and ate very little after awhile and mentioned this to him.  He just smiled at me and said that he was too fat and was watching his weight.

I believed him of course, and never thought that their could be any other reason for his weight loss and loss of appetite.

All to soon, he stopped coming in to work and when I called I was told that he was in the hospital and that things didn't look to good.

I went to that hospital and there he was all immacipated and not able to speak to me. How badly I felt. I had wished that he had told me about his conditon earlier because I would have spent more time with him and I would have told him how much I loved him and I would have helped him in any way I could.  I felt that he cheated me out of my last chance to show him how much he really meant to me by not telling me he was so ill. I know he just wanted to spare me, but did he really?  I don't feel that he did. I had so much to say and now I can't say it.

It is getting very windy now , and time for this old man to go home and get his cup of joe and maybe a graham cracker or two.  Good bye my good friend, I will miss you very much and I will always remember you in my prayers for as long as I live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And after all is said and done..we that live on after are left with all guilt ever..such is life..
jo..Hannahthemaid....